Saturday, June 03, 2006

Got my Enter the Kettlebell!


Thursday:


Jump rope warmup 30:30sec x 3 (work:rest)
1:00/:30, 1:00/:30 1:30/:30 1:00/30

Sled pulls w/90 lbs
Forward run 50 yds/75 yds/100 yds
Rear w/row 50 yds/50 yds
Rear run 50 yds/50 yds

I really like my sled! I have never done this type of work before and I really feel it! 10 am, and the humidity just about killed me! The really cool thing was the local fire Pipes and Drum corps were practicing in the parking lot next to the strip of field I was working. Next time I will bring my bells and throw them! The pipes really fit the training ambience.

Saturday morning.

I received my ETKB book from the UPS guy last night. I am pretty sure he was happy that it wasn't a big box from Dragon Door! Skimmed through the book last night, and I have to admit, it definitely supercedes the first RKC book. The growth that occurred in the last 5 years really shows. (Nice that you are quoted in the book, Rif!)

I tried the C and P Rite of Passage ladders. It worked great since I have to leave for a long day at the other academy I work (Los Rios community college). That academy is going through their defensive tactics test. (Same 2.5 hr test).

I did the three sets of ladders long cycle (1, 2, 3) with the 24kg. It was too light. Unfortunately all my other bells are at the academy gym. I will try to hit it again tonight. This seemed more of a nice warmup.

I got my RKC instructor certificate yesterday. I am still very proud of that achievement. Unlike many of you, I was not allowed to participate in sports as a kid, I could only lift weights. It wasn't until I became 18 that I started Okinawan hard style martial arts (Isshin-ryu) to make up for lost time. Isshinryu turned to TKD, then BJJ, and Aikido, as well as police defensive tactics. I love the combative arts! Certainly, some KB workouts feel like you've been in a fight!

At any rate, I felt like posting the pic of the teammates who enjoyed the pain with me!

2 comments:

Mark Reifkind said...

pete,

great book and yes its very flattering and I am honored to be quoted in there. try the ladders long cycle all the way through(1-5 reps, 5 sets) it aint that heavy but its TONS of reps. I wouldnt go heavier til I completed ALL the reps.jmo. good owrk though bro, glad to see you are feelin better.

rif

Ken Black said...

Glad you are enjoying the sled Pete. Humidity sucks big time! Keep up the good work bro.