Tuesday, March 13, 2007

At the Cooper Institute

I am in the great big state of Texas at the Cooper Institute! Even though they have a huge gym here at the Cooper Lodge, I brought my TNT Lifeline cables. I knew I would be hitting the books since there is a big test at the end of the Master Fitness Certification. I contacted Lisa Shaffer from No Fear Fitness to see if she had any classes while I was in town. She said she wasn't holding open classes, only her clients, HOWEVER, she was happy to drop off a kettlebell for me to use while I was in town! What an awesome lady! She came by and had some nice things to say about Ken Black! (She says 'hey', Ken!)

I brought in the KB into the class, and there was some definite curiousity about the KB. The staff there had heard of the kettlebells, and had heard of the RKC cert. A compliment they said about the RKCs they had come across was that the RKCs were very strict on form which, of course, they respected. Funny thing is that they have kettlebells at the Cooper Gym, but they are really small....and have a rubberized coating on them. Not very functional for KB basics.

At any rate, Cooper does cater to the large sedentary population and will probably always stick to the safe methods of swiss balls, and tubing. Not anything wring with that if it gets people to train. And then hopefully, they will want to explore other methods of strength and conditioning. But, as you all know, there is plenty of room for all types of trainers out there. I was happy to spread a little RKC representation and I even got one person interested in the RKC cert. (The gym he works at has kettlebells, and they do some fun things with them...very muscular, and fit guy with an open mind!)

5 comments:

Franz Snideman said...

That Lisa Shaffer is amazing! She is a wonderful person,a great teacher, and just super cool. That was so nice of her to do that.

Glad to see your dedication even on the road. Keep it rocking brother!

Pete said...

Lisa is wonderful, without a doubt. I am thankful for the camraderie of the RKC cadre!

Working it and rocking on, Franz! Got some new itunes for my workouts that are a little more upbeat which always helps. "Just Like You Imagined" by Nine Inch Nails is the song on the trailer for the movie 300. Definitely kicks!

Ken Black said...

Sounds like fun Pete. Lisa is a great girl and very talented. Glad things are well with you.

Franz Snideman said...

updates brother? How are you doing?

Mark Reifkind said...

UPDATE!!!!!!