Sunday, July 30, 2006

Academy Training/Master Instructor Development Program

Part of my Master instructor development program project deals with creating an intermediate PT instructor's course for academy instructors. The major issues that I believe are common in training are budgetary, facilities, equipment, and progressive training concepts.

The 20 week program I have put together mimics one that I have seen in Hard Style. I have played with periodization before, but I think I like how this one fits with academy training. I am open to your educated suggestions for making it better of course.


weeks 2-5: ASSESSMENT/ STRENGTH PERIOD
weeks 6-8: MUSCULAR ENDURANCE
weeks 9-11: MUSCLE MASS/ HYPERTROHY BUILDING- EDT
weeks 12-15:FAT LOSS
week 16: ACTIVE RECOVERY
weeks 17-18: STRENGTH /POWER
weeks 19-21: MUSCULAR ENDURANCE
week 22: PEAK/TEST

I have 50 recruits of extreme varying levels of fitness. I have one recruit with over 30% body fat, and one who is very lean at 4.6% BF. One who ran the 1.5 mile at 8:30 and one who ran it in 16 mins. In the beginning, I use duration as the goal, and not performance, ie. how far can you run in 20 minutes, etc. Lots of joint mobility and dynamic drills/stretching to get them to understand their body better.

My Workout:
7-28-06
Just enough time to do a ladder workout with pullups (1,2,3,4) x 4 rest periods mimiced if someone was doing them with me. IGO-UGO method.

7-29-06

Fun in the park with Ken and crew. Met two new students of Ken's, and I trained with Bob and Kathy. Good times. Weather was cool, and very pleasant as opposed to last week.

Joint Mobility
Halo 5 x 2 sets
Slingshot 5 x 2 sets
BW squats 10 x 2 sets
Mil. Press 1,2,3,4 x 3 sets
Row 1,2,3,4, x 3 sets
Racked walking lunges + step ups x 3 times
Windmills

Bob and I finished it off with a couple of sled sprints with 25lbs on it for approx. 4 passes of 50 yards. It was a good way to stretch it out.
Ken as always was motivating me to do better! I was a little late, so I had to do pushups! Ken has a bit of the DI in him, like I knew he did! :)

5 comments:

Tommy Shook said...

Nice session guys..very motivating and fun to see sleds and other stuff being used. good times, for sure!

Pete said...

The sleds were a nice way to finish the workout, most definitely!

Tommy Shook said...

Pete, it looks like a pretty good program for your recruits. It is always a work in progress, I'm sure, with varying levels of conditioning and training experience. It is always easier to smoke someone with a heavily conditioning weighted program than it is to make someone strong. I'm glad to see you have a large emphasis on the strength component. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress.

Franz Snideman said...

Looking good Pete. Keep slaying those dragons!

Pete said...

I am very fortunate to have supervisors that believe in what I am trying to do. They just approved four power sleds! Way too cool.