Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Critical Reflection

Critical reflection on learning as presented by Jack Mezirow is defined as “the process of reflecting back on prior learning to determine whether what we have learned is justified under present circumstances.” Mezirow further added “this is a crucial learning process egregiously ignored by learning theorists.” How this becomes important to the adult learner is that once you reflect on your past, you determine on what path your future learning must take. For the instructor of adults, this becomes a very important factor in stating your course objective and how you present your instruction.

As I am teaching the new recruits, I am constantly reviewing on whether or not my instruction is received or believed. I am fighting against their past experiences in training whether quality training or not. Usually, I get more resistance from those whose knowledge is culled from the "muscle mags". Sigh, the fight continues. I am sometimes frustrated that those who need this the most are those who use it the least. If I hear how great a Spin class is for fitness again, I am going to scream, especially when I see videos of middle-aged mothers training boot camp/underground strength coach style.

7-24-06
warmups: halos, wall squats, Russian Pump, and squat thrusts 2 supersets of 5 reps each

2 sets of supersets of 3 reps of the following circuit:
Swings-slingshot-swings-Figure 8s-swings-tactical lunges-pushpress 16kg

5:00 non stop of the following circuit:
swings-snatches-jerks-squat thrusts

5:00 nonstop of the following circuit:
Farmer's walk-mountain climbers
(Most of the above was copied from a Ken Black KB class- Thanks Ken!)

7-25-06
Warmups with the academy class
Tabata squats with the class 8 sets/4:00
My score: 25
Cycle (gym gerbil training) 15:00 (bored out of my skull with it, but wanted a brief change of pace)

7-26-06
JM drills/Dymanic Drills for warm up

Rack deadlifts (just below the knee)
135 x 5
135 x 3
225 x 3
295 x 3
315 x 1
325 x 0 (failed)
315 x 1
320 x 1

Renegade Rows
2 x 24kg 5/5 x 3
2 x 32kg 5/5 x 2

Janda Situps
3/5/2 (core fried..need to do more of theses)

Superset powerball slams with dips
30 PBS-10 dips x 2

For a good laugh check out these video clips of Terry Tate-Office Linebacker.

http://board.iexbeta.com/lofiversion/index.php/t47380.html
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, baby! Yes, the Corporal is coming out!

4 comments:

Tommy Shook said...

Pete, interesting post. I see a lot of the same resistance to new ideas from supposedly "experienced" athletes. Just keep at them, they'll come around when the results can not be argued with.
"Education is what survives when everything else learned has been forgotten."-B.F. Skinner

Pete said...

It is funny, isn't it? I am working on a project for POST regarding physical training. I do not think that I can totally keep it all kettlebell, but definitely alot of Pavel's training is in it ie. PTP, GTG, BB, and of course ETK. WTF? Typical LEO, eh.....fun with the Acronyms. Is it that way in the in the ambulance service?

Ken Black said...

Lead by example Pete! Show em your best bro and why they can't do it! I am sure that will get their attention;) Looking forward to coming out soon!

Mark Reifkind said...

dont worry, dl's from just below the knee are notoriously hard. dead zone. When I pulled 545 in competition I couldnt pull 500 from below knee.