Friday, July 14, 2006

First week under way!

The first week of the academy is completed and next week we are off and running with the start of Physical Training.

I met with 20 recruits prior to the start of the academy for a 2 day introduction to the kettlebells. Three hours total for both days. I will post some pics from them soon.

I covered the KB deadlift, swing, clean, C&J, high pull, and the snatch. We also did some sled sprints, and I gave them a quick feel of the overhead walk, rack and farmer's walk. They had all prepared well to start the academy.

This week for me consisted mostly of GTG pullups (got some bands to increase the rep range while I was at the Nationals!) benching supersetting with low pulley rows EDT style, swings supersetted with jump rope EDT. Powerwheel rollouts, and power ropeball slams. The ropeball slams (Thanks for introducing them to me Franz) has been a great stress reliever!Getting my GPP up for the classes that will officially start next week.

2 comments:

Tommy Shook said...

Sounds like you have a great set-up there Pete. I wish more departments would allow their more "progressive" people to weild influence over recruit training. "a hundred years of tradition, uninterrupted by progress" seems to be the motto around here...of course I consistently smoke guys 10-15 years younger than me so I must be doing something right;)!! Seriously though, thanks for getting those pups in line to make the world a safer place, you are an inspiration to me, for sure.

Pete said...

Thanks, Tom. Sad, isn't it? We have inmates who are the true underground strength athletes, and waaay too many public safety folks content to play with ken and Barbie weights or only train the slow twitch muscle fibers.

I am fortunate to have a boss who allows me to do this. He teases me everytime I mention kettlebell, but he knows the methods I employ are exactly what they need.

Thanks for the Kudos Tom! I know you are a leader by example in your field by your performances! Lead the way!