Friday, January 19, 2007

Push and Pull

Thurs.

bench press. Goal is to bench 3 plates before my 40th birthday.
135x 5
185x 5
190x6
210 x 5
220 x 4

Deadlift (Coan/Philippi routine based on 1RM of 300)
135 x 3
260 x 2
220 x 3 x 8 w/ 90 secs rest between

Push and pull. Music: soundtrack from Rocky I, III, and IV. Centers the mind and body. I read a study that said that classical music or jazz had a better weight training performance as opposed to the heavy/thrash metal music people usually get pumped up with. I use both, but lately, the soundtrack music keeps me more focused.

7 comments:

Tommy Shook said...

Pete, nice: primitive, basic and raw. I think that is a good goal for 40th. BDay!

BTW...I love training to jazz!

Pete said...

Ah yes, Jazz is always good as background music. I am going back to the basics. My PRs are not big, but that will change. I never trained smart in the past. PTP and GTG are becoming a part of my routine as my work schedule gets me erratic. Not to mention having a busy almost 1 year old on my hands!

Tracy Reifkind said...

nice work pete.those goals are definitely attainable. but dudes, are you kidding me? lift really heavy weights to jazz or classical?LOL, I just couldnt do it.
shook, you ARE the Jazzman I guess.

Mark Reifkind said...

oops that was me of course.

Pete said...

Hey Rif,

I know...we are the odd ones....just yesterday I was deadlifting, and the cd i had went from Bill Conti to Joan Jett (Bad Reputation) and it threw my mental state off. I had to put it back on to the instrumentals! I guess my state of mind was more introspective while lifting. I certainly am shooting for more than 3 plates before my 40th now. I just pressed 260 (PR) and it felt good. I just never trained the bench or deadlift properly before.

Franz Snideman said...

Nice combo and great to see you training Pete!

How is the family? Work?

Tommy Shook said...

Fast and loose baby, just like a far-out Charlie "Bird" Parker jam.....repitition snatches in c-minor.