Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Stuck in Long Beach!

Actually, I am here for Master Instructor Development Training (Progress workshop#2). I didn't bring my kettlebell this time, I opted for something light, my bands. The "gym" here has 2 40# dumbbells, and a low row/lat pulldown machine. Yesterday, I did about 20 mins. treadmill and then 15 mins. EDT low row, front squats w/ the 40# db. rest between sets no more than 10 secs.

Coming here has gotten me re-energized about my project and being an academy instructor. This is a year long process that quite honestly, has taken alot out of me. Alot of research, and alot of writing on top of the regular workload. But, it is definitely worth it to me in the long run.

During class today, we discussed an article about the differences in the quality of life of optimists vs. pessimists. Needless to say, the old adage "what the mind harbors, the body manifests" holds true. Pessimists were more likely to have serious ailments as they age versus optimists. Those who had optimistic thoughts were checked over a 12 week period, compared with those who took medications to fight depression, and found that the positive thinkers performed better than those who used chemicals to alter their body chemistry! The power of the mind is simply amazing.

Well, it is that time I told myself I would return back to my research paper. Be strong, and stay healthy.

4 comments:

Franz Snideman said...

Amazing how something as simple as a thought can have positive or negative consequences. Sounds like a great course brother! Keep up the training!

Tommy Shook said...

Long Beach can be a fun place or a total downer....
Everything has an affect on the brain's chemistry. hormones and neurotransmitters can be intrinsic or extrinsic. You produce endorphin from hard exercise vs. using opiates to "feel better", you think positive thoughts and look for the silver lining or you take a selective seratonin re-uptake inhibitor...
I, like you, prefer to be "high on life"!!! Hang in there bro, all of your hard work will bear fruit during the harvest.

Pete said...

Tom,

LB was ok...got to go to the Yardhouse restuarant and have a pint o' Guiness (weakness) while getting to know other instructors around the state.

This whole MIDP has been a little overwhleming with the workload, research and writing. Apparently, I will be able to get 17 units towards a master's degree in Emergency Management upon completion of the course and Project.

Franz,
I am contantly amazed at how the concepts of simplicity matter more than anything "complex" or "exotic". Funny how the commonality of that principle holds true in many things that we are all concerned with.

It certainly helped having the bands at the hotel. I was pretty much bound to the room banging away on the computer except for that one night!

Mark Reifkind said...

Pete,

just heard an interview about 'neuroplasticity" the ability of the mind( which was thought NOT to be able to do this after age 2) to grow NEW neurons JUST BY THE ACT OF THINKING!!. Stroke victims who they thought would never regain use of limbs were actually groiwng new brain cells to let their injured limbs regain mobility.
in the act of researching this they found that visualization not only acts "as if" one was actually doing the act but actually creates hypertrophy in the centers of the brain responsible for them! great stuff.
The act of creation : THink , Say DO.
hold on, you will be back home soon and with your kbs again,lol!