Friday, September 07, 2007

Here at the RKC

OK, I am going to post this for my posterity. If you enjoy reading this, then all the better, too :)

Even though I was a little nervous ( I get that way...) I was extremely excited about getting to the snatch test. I waited for my cab outside the hotel, and ran into Mike Lucas, an RKC from Iron Core La Jolla/and winner of San Diego's Biggest Loser contest. Ironically, I had just watched his great mini-documentary on his personal achievement for losing over 150 lbs with kettlebells! (His video is below.)

It was nice talking with him on the cab ride to the Community Center. It was a great start to the RKC exeperience. Upon arrival, I was greeted by the familiar interior of the Dayton's Bluff Community Center. It reminded me further of the responsibility I was going to have now as an assistant instructor instead of being a student. (Sometimes, it is nice to be the student instead of the instructor!)

I proceeded to meet the other assistants; great bunch of people! All except two were from California! Travis and Mike were the only non-Cal. Asst. RKCs. After setup (whew...it was hot, humid, and seemed like ALOT of bells :) ) it was off to the snatch test. We tested each other, and all passed. It was great watching the fluidity of their movements. I felt I rushed my set, I should have relaxed, but I made my snatch numbers AND I didn't tear my hands!

Meet and Greet: It was fun to watch the hum and buzz in the hospitality suite as the students started coming in. A few of us started a gauntlet of RKCs to greet them as they came in, no wallflowers! I remember the excitement and anticipation, and it was fun to reassure and motivate them during the meet and greet. What an amazing assortment of backgrounds. I saw one person standing by themselves and so I went up to talk with him. It turns out he had recently won 1st place in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu at the Pan-American Championships! He talked about how kettlebells had saved his back (he had three bulging discs prior to training with kbs)and that enabled him to continue training in BJJ and win! I told him it would not surprise me if they did an article on him in Hard Style. Very nice, positive person.

I saw and spoke with familiar faces: Rif, Mark Cheng,Andrea DuCaine and met new ones: Jason Brown, Pam Macelree (who can do 2 out of 3 in the Beast Challenge-AMAZING), and Brett Jones. Good times!

Well, it is friday morning and it is time to get ready to start my day. More to come!Pics to come on Sunday.

No comments: