Sunday, August 27, 2006

Weekend mental recharge


Took the family to the fair and got to meet Big Louie, who incidentally is also a Reserve L.A. County Sheriff's deputy. How'd you like to have that big man chasing you down? He was very approachable, and got a kick out of my badge like the fellow warrior that he is. I bought his dvd, Stand Tall which is kind of a sequel to Pumping Iron. It is about his return to the Mr. Olympia after a 17 year retirement. For me, it was like a who's who in body building when I was totally fascinated with it as a kid. Good times!

I am looking forward to training this week! I had an after class training session at the end of the academy last thursday. 12 students stayed after on their own time to play with the kettlebells and other toys that I had. They were surprised by the effects of the power ball, and the power wheel. After they played with that, on to the kettlebells. I showed, and they did. They knew the swing, and clean and press. We did around the body pass, figure 8s, BUC, BUP, high pulls, snatches, renegade rows, and pistols.

I am so proud of my students where they are at right now after 6 weeks of PT. A few of them could do pistols, one of them with the 24kg! He only weighed about 150 lbs. One of my other students, after learning the groove of the snatch, worked up to snatching the 32kg for 3 reps! (He was a former Alaskan fisherman/boat captain, so I am not surprised with his level of functional strength.) They had great camraderie as they encouraged each other to newer levels of strength. They are really happy to be doing things that very few academies do in this state, if the nation.

On another note, I am very fascinated with the information that has come out on Z-health. Anyone out there getting the dvd/books on the topic? Is it worth getting? There are some amazing claims being made, and some very interesting people getting involved with it, specifically Josh Henkin. What do y'all think?

No comments: