Saturday, July 07, 2007

SPD's first kettlebell seminar


I had published an article in the department newsletter about kettlebell training in the academy. If anyone was interested to try them out, I would hold an in-house seminar. Several responded, but come the actual date, three motivated individuals showed up. With the schedules all over the place for people in this career field, I am not suprised by the no-shows. At least, they wrote me and told me to keep them in the loop for the next one.
I always learn something new when I get to train people, plus I get excited when they show that they have discovered their own aha moment. We are inside the weight room for the joint fire-police-sheriff's academies. It's a nice place, even when it's hot out! They stuck with me for the two hours, and they learned the basic level 1 exercises. I finished up with a H2H juggling demo and a 32kg TGU to show them that strength is a skill.
Later on, I had a quick workout: warmups with 12kg- 30 swings
Snatch 24kg
20/20
20/20
10/10
100 reps total
2 hand swings 32kg
10 x 10
100 reps total.
That's all she wrote. The snatches felt strong, drove through the heels, and performed it hard style. I should have just tested my RKC snatch test numbers, i was feeling that good. At any rate, I believe there is a direct carry over from all the high rep "light" kb work, as well as the Kenneth Jay Max V02 protocols. Works great for me!

4 comments:

Mark Reifkind said...

good stuff Pete, and you look great in the pic.very fit.

Pete said...

thanks for the props, Mark! Staying the course for Sept. A new class of 57 starts monday. Overall, I will be training a total of 105 recruits between the Sr. class, Jr. class, and CSO (Community Service Officer-non sworn) academy. The kettlebell exposure continues.

Franz Snideman said...

Congrat's Pete! You are alone changing the future of California Law Enforcement!

I know the three who came out were pumped that they did it!

Keep it rocking Pete!

Pete said...

Thanks Franz!
I would rather have a single motivated person than 10 lackadaisical people to train. What a difference it makes.

First day of the academy today...now gotta get home and train to blow off some steam!